Pontefract Home Guard

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontefract Home Guard

A forum for the members of the Pontefract home guard living history group

+5
Admin
corporal dixon
Boots
Rat man sam
MattWR5
9 posters

New Member? Introduction

MattWR5
    MattWR5

New Member? Introduction Empty New Member? Introduction

Post  MattWR5 Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Hello and good morning to you all.

I subscribed to the forum to keep in touch with your very well respected Aux Unit and HG chaps as I am helping Coleshill National Trust again for 2012 with their open weekend event :)I have been in touch with Steve B on the "other" forum to advise of the date.
    I hope you won't mind my visiting your forum board and keeping in touch in this way.

For those of you who don't know I am living over near Pateley Bridge, north of Harrogate, very interested in the socio-political development of the Home Guard, and particularly Northern Command and my own local area's C Company WR 5 Home Guard unit. I have been busy ressurecting my old website, now at wr5harrogatehomeguard.webs.com

My whole life seems to be changing over the winter. My job I have had for 17yrs on the railway is no longer secure. I got a letter last week saying it goes on 11th March. I am obviously in talks about what else I can get. This will mean a drastic change of shifts and work/life balance which was going great for me.

It means I will be totally changing my commitments to group[s] in the hobby. As I am also very interested in Chaplains [some of you will know] I am loosly attached to 3 groups and for 3 yrs have been going to certain events invited as a Padre. In any future job with my company I am likely to be working at least 1 in 3 weekends, maybe 2 out of 4. This means I am looking at changing back to re-enactment of the Home Guard and I am hoping I shall be able to join your group once things are sorted out.

My collection has evolved over the years and I have never forgotten or lost my interest in the Home Guard. The material I have now and can provide for displays, if required, would be centred around Home Guard medical services, an attached chaplain, or stretcher bearer.

Regards and best wishes
    Matt Gibbs
    Rat man sam
    Rat man sam

New Member? Introduction Empty Re: New Member? Introduction

Post  Rat man sam Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:20 am

Welcome matt Very Happy

Sam
    Boots
    Boots

Post  Boots Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:23 am

Hi Matt, glad you've joined us and hope to meet next year.
    corporal dixon

New Member? Introduction Empty welcome

Post  corporal dixon Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:06 am

welcome mate feels like you have been part of the group anyway hope to see you soon cpl dixon
    MattWR5
    MattWR5

Post  MattWR5 Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks Corp, very nice of you to say so.
    Thanks for the kind words every one.
    Doing the occasional event with Home Guard always feels like coming home, so to speak. It was the first militaria stuff I collected Smile
    I think I will be started a second paperwork collection! Wink Is there going to be a Stoneleigh trip in January?
    I just dusted off my '03 belt and put the HG pouches and slider on it, but I seem to have lost the darned 37 pattern shoulder straps LOL.
    Cheers
    Matt
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:12 am

MattWR5 wrote:Thanks Corp, very nice of you to say so.
    Thanks for the kind words every one.
    Doing the occasional event with Home Guard always feels like coming home, so to speak. It was the first militaria stuff I collected Smile
    I think I will be started a second paperwork collection! Wink Is there going to be a Stoneleigh trip in January?
    I just dusted off my '03 belt and put the HG pouches and slider on it, but I seem to have lost the darned 37 pattern shoulder straps LOL.
    Cheers
    Matt

Hi Matt Im the Admin of the forum and joining the HG aux unit next year, will look foreword to seeing you and yes i know me and granddad and perhaps Steve are going i cant speak for the others.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    MattWR5
    MattWR5

Post  MattWR5 Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:37 am

Great stuff matey! Will see you there I hope then.
    cheerio for now
    Matt
    corporal dixon

Post  corporal dixon Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:08 am

james do you know dates for stoneleigh january could go if i have some dosh lef after christmas lol!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:23 am

29th of jan mate
    corporal dixon

Post  corporal dixon Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:01 pm

yes shopuld be able yo go christines never been shes after some 49 pat trousers
    Lofty

Post  Lofty Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:34 am

Hi all. I'm new to the forum, but not to Ponte HG.Thanks Steve for giving me the link. I'm not currently a member of Ponte HG - I'm not a member of anything but MVT and RBL. I've been collecting, reenacting and Jeep driving for 30 years. I've got all the kit (and more besides)! I have probably met some of the new faces at events already - already know Steve, Carl, John, David, Paul and the old hands.Hopefully will meet up at other events.
    scallywag
    scallywag

Post  scallywag Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:33 pm

Welcome Barry, glad to have you on board.
    MattWR5
    MattWR5

Post  MattWR5 Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:26 am

Last week on the 11th was sadly the last day for me in the lovely and dare I say it probably slightly cushy job I had and liked so much on the railway.
    I knew it had been coming since the end of December but I was hoping things might change.
    I've been offered another job but with shifts that don't in any way fit with what my wife does. I've had to take a job that also means working night shifts and includes 2 weekends a month.
    I have had to take the very sad and sorry decision that I am giving up the re-enacting hobby. I simply won't be able to afford it and when I do have a weekend off my wife will be working and I'll be looking after my 2 young girls.
    I couldn't even attend the AGM - even though Steve texted me I had to tell him I would more than likely be working, which was the case.

I will be maintaining an interest in the Home Guard, I do have my website to continue with on WR5, but I won't be doing reenactment.
    I will have a number of items to sell on relatively cheaply and I can make a list. I've already sold quite a bit via a contact through the WW2 forum who came and bought a whole lot of stuff in one go. I was sad to see it go but at the mo I shall be working only a 3 day week and the money will come in handy.

I'll try sort a list and put it up in a new post. I have some things that I intend to give away and I will come to a nearby event and bring them along.

Regards and best wishes to you all.
    Matt
    fireball1

Post  fireball1 Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:29 am

hi matt glad to see you again part of the group look forward to seeing you at some events welcome very welcome fireball (ian turton) Very Happy
    scallywag
    scallywag

Post  scallywag Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:57 pm

A most welcome back to Fireball
    fireball1

Post  fireball1 Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:39 am

thanks for the welcome missed the guys good times good laughs looking forwad to this years events
    fireball1

Post  fireball1 Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:43 am

this is what i think about the pontefract living hstory group good guys great fun very welcoming and loads loads of fun glad to be a part of the group
    scallywag
    scallywag

Post  scallywag Mon May 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Russ as EL6 at last got him to type the right keys, welcome.
    andy202wr
    andy202wr

Post  andy202wr Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:47 pm

Hi its me Andy from Shefield.Finaly got round to joining your forum. Posted some pics from yesterday at Thwaits mill. Hope to see you soon Andy.
    scallywag
    scallywag

Post  scallywag Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:55 am

Welcome Andrew.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:39 am