Pontefract Home Guard

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontefract Home Guard

A forum for the members of the Pontefract home guard living history group

3 posters

Spigot Mortar post

EL6
    EL6

Spigot Mortar post Empty Spigot Mortar post

Post  EL6 Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:57 am

Meine Herren,
    after about four years on and off looking for it, I am pleased to announce that I have finally located a Spigot Mortar post that was rumoured to be in my area.

Having searched fruitlessly in the summer for it, I was shown the actual field it was in and couldn't see it because of the huge hedge surrounding the field that was the size of a Grand Naional fence!

So, went back t'other day having dropped someone off, managed to stand on the roadsign (Blackleach Lane) and looked over; lo and behold, there it was! A Spigot Mortar post!

We were told of it's existance by a member of the North West Lancs MVT who has a garage at Catford, near Inskip, about eight miles from where I live. His late father told him about it and it was common knowledge in the area apparently that the Home Guard manned the Spigot Mortar post; I think they were the Catford Home Guard, all are sadly dead now.

Anyway, in a great state of excitement (!), I hurried to the house adjacent to the field, knocked and middle aged middle class gent answered, explained my wierd interest in his concrete in his field. Did he know what it was? A machine gun post from the war he was told by people who he bought the field from.I corrected him, toldhim to look it up on internet, and whilst he did that, I leaped and squelched across his muddy field to said concrete...

having got tehre, spattered in mud ( I hadn't planned to go that day, so no wellies on ) I ascertained it was what I suspected... I was told when we were at Goathland by an NVT member who had seen it that the steel plintle was missing and it wan't up to much...not so. All tehre, just no concrete defensive surround, merely the concrete post and steel plinte.

Something else; I thought it was situated to cover the little service bridge that went over the Lancaster Canal. Not so; if it was, the pre-war cottages in the distance would have to have been demolished for it to have a clear line of fire and of any chance of hitting anything coming off the bridge at all! It does however, have a clear line of fire down the road; that's what it was for. And according to the MVT chap who told me about it, there was another Spigot Mortar post covering another road but this was destroyed when the M55 motorway was built in 1974. I will try and attach a photograph of it...Try being the word!

Let's see if I can follow Herr Brown's instructions...
    E:\SpigotMortarpost,BlackleachLane,Catford,23.12.12.JPG
    EL6
    EL6

Spigot Mortar post Empty Re: Spigot Mortar post

Post  EL6 Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:17 am

Spigot Mortar post Spigot10
    EL6
    EL6

Post  EL6 Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:25 am

Spigot Mortar post Spigot11
    EL6
    EL6

Post  EL6 Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:30 am

Spigot Mortar post Spigot11
    EL6
    EL6

Post  EL6 Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:34 am

Iam wondering if there is a concrete defensive surround buried under there? Hmmm. Interstingly, the local Home Guard HQ, a building down the road was cleared out recently, and allegedly, a live Sten gun was found! Don't know what happened to that!
    Boots
    Boots

Post  Boots Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Well done that man!! Despite its age that metalwork looks to be in reasonable condition. Did you clean it before the photo? Would the defensive wall be only a temporary nature? The mortars seem to be mounted very low to the ground on the pictures I've seen and maybe just sandbags could have ben used to disguise the mounting??
    EL6
    EL6

Post  EL6 Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:20 am

No, I didn't clean it up, photographed it as it was. Maybe you are right; sandbags might have been used.I might go back with a metal detector and probe to see if there is a concrete defensive wall buried underneath it.

scallywag
    scallywag

Post  scallywag Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:46 am

Nice find at last EL6. i know surroundings can change pdq but there seems little cover for such a 'permanant' weapon? perhaps the Farmer can help?
    EL6
    EL6

Post  EL6 Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:49 am

I think I'll pay them another visit, armed with my metal detector or a probe.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 5:50 pm