Pontefract Home Guard

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontefract Home Guard

A forum for the members of the Pontefract home guard living history group

2 posters

Cleethorpes

scallywag
    scallywag

Cleethorpes Empty Cleethorpes

Post  scallywag Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:08 am

Last time I was here the mod's n rocker's were battling bet the event battle is much the same??. Been talked into in B.D. guise for this one but all organised for the H.G. those with tickets and early enough on the Saturday/Sunday are due a free breakfast if your prepared to que [600 registered re enactors]I suppose. Be aware they stop serving at 09 30 unless you are in the que you wont get one. Looking forward to this one, Tickets are distributed to those I know attending, I have some tickets left but not sending them out will have them with me. You also need the red ticket to park in the car park for free [It says different on the ticket]. If anyone feels they can I also have tickets to go to Crich to help on the gate, not displaying.
    scallywag
    scallywag

Cleethorpes Empty Re: Cleethorpes

Post  scallywag Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:03 pm

A nice event however was it better than our usual Crich event?? we were in a field talking to the public which is like 90% of our other events, At Crich we get to interact and still be in a camp to display if we wish but Crich offers the benefit of the whole village being ww2 active, Cleethorpes offered meals and it was nice to take part in the 'fashion show' Paul Harpers knowledge was astounding but it would still be a success without us. So is this event better than Crich? If so why?, surely free tea [which we have also]and meals is not that much of a draw, which event would you prefer to support next year?
    Robertsthebob
    Robertsthebob

Post  Robertsthebob Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:08 am

No prizes for guessing which one I'd prefer the group to attend! We really missed you at Crich this time (emotional blackmail! hehe).
    Special mention in despatches to Harold for coming to help me on the Saturday though
    scallywag
    scallywag

Post  scallywag Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi Adrian
    Thanks for that, i'm sure you can see where i'm coming from here, for us there's only Crich, NYMR and Papplewick [possibly Brodsworth and maybe an extra Bolton rail this year] that have the atmosphere of an event location at war, field display's are 10 a penny, don't get me wrong I do enjoy these and are our bread and butter but far more 'living history' to be 'living history'?? Of course it depends very much on the members which events we choose.
    Robertsthebob
    Robertsthebob

Post  Robertsthebob Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:49 am

Hi Steve. Yes, that's a bit of a hobby horse of mine too. Obviously I'm biased about Crich, but there are a number of other events that we go to where it's the location that creates an atmosphere. For example we love going to the Severn Valley Railway's event for just that reason. Their vintage rolling stock, locomotives and beautiful country stations create a living history location where people in modern clothes look out of place. By contrast a field full of re-enactor displays, however good they are, doesn't really cut it for me. When the public are immersed in a scene, it's easier for us to get what we're about over to them. Perhaps I'm just too much of an old romantic!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content