Pontefract Home Guard

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontefract Home Guard

A forum for the members of the Pontefract home guard living history group

2 posters

Home Guard manual of camouflage by Ronald Penrose. Lecturer to the \war \office for Instructors to the Home Guard

EL6
    EL6

Home Guard manual of camouflage by Ronald Penrose. Lecturer to the \war \office for Instructors to the Home Guard Empty Home Guard manual of camouflage by Ronald Penrose. Lecturer to the war office for Instructors to the Home Guard

Post  EL6 Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:11 am

For camouflagiong face and hands, he suggest using "soot, mud, burnt cork or green Blanco." Blanco I wonder where they would get that from as they are Home Guard? Also burnt cork is very hard to wash off. He goes on to say"a mixture of flour and soot will make a good paste which sticks to the skin." Flour?! Rationed, but in an emergency..! now get this: "By those who live in country districts cow - dung has been advocated, and for those who have the courage to use it, it can be highly recommended in spite of its unpleasantness, since it retains good colour and texture when dry" !!! I wonder if the invading enemy would be able to smell you, and would the flies give you a good deal of unwanted attention?!!
    scallywag
    scallywag

Home Guard manual of camouflage by Ronald Penrose. Lecturer to the \war \office for Instructors to the Home Guard Empty Re: Home Guard manual of camouflage by Ronald Penrose. Lecturer to the \war \office for Instructors to the Home Guard

Post  scallywag Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Fascinating, think i'll organise another section to patrol while we go to the pub, leave it with me.

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:27 am