Pontefract Home Guard

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pontefract Home Guard

A forum for the members of the Pontefract home guard living history group

4 posters

Munitions for display

MattWR5
    MattWR5

Munitions for display Empty Munitions for display

Post  MattWR5 Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Hello there;
    I was planning to have a play in the garage doing the odd bit of work on some repro stuff, but before I do, in the interests of a lack of duplication, I thought I would have a check and see who might have been making what for display.

I am sure you will agree there is no point in having lots of the same thing on display.

I have aquired my piece of railway line so with a couple of wooden blocks I was thinking of making a display like the one at Parham museum. I need to make a unit charge - or possibly two - with orange line or cordtex.

I was thinking broom handle or dowel cut down for the 808 but what to use for the fuze? Also how have people made the wrapper for it? I bought a small number of repro ones but the price was kind of silly and I can have a go at making some, by printing the logo onto some kind of paper. I guess the paper can be waxed afterwards?

I have a few old dutch deac det primers which I can drill the end of the dowel and push fit, or use modelling clay and make a 1 oz primer piece of "plastique explosive" lookalike.

Final item of course is the railway fog detonator, but Mark Farnsworth off the WW2 forum says he is reproing them now he has finished the clam mine so I can hopefully get one off him. I don't want to pay £120 for an original that might get damaged!

I am also going to have a go at the 2 gallon can fuel dump incendiary, as I have several old 2 gallon cans in the garage.

I might as well have a go at the knitting needle conversion as well. I have some waxed twine to cover the handle, need to find some old metal needles. Modern ones seems to be a kind of hard plastic Sad Charity shops don't seem to sell 'em any more. Would you believe they could be an offensive weapon! LOL.
    cheers
    Matt

scallywag
    scallywag

Munitions for display Empty Re: Munitions for display

Post  scallywag Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:38 am

Cpl. D has some good repro stuff, my repro stuff consists of, a box of PE and Nobels 808, 1lb unit charge with 2 time pencils, tin no. 8 dets, tin of safety fuze. Unfortunatly all the repro wrappers were done at work as well as me not there anymore i know the computer was wiped along with my copies.
    MattWR5
    MattWR5

Post  MattWR5 Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:21 am

Thanks for the info Steve.
    I will see if I can find the right sort of 808 logo, or I will have to make something up with generic army markings. I will give it a try when I can nip to the shops and find some buff coloured paper for the printer!

Its amazing how much time all these things you think will be a 10 minute job actually take, specially with the 2 kids Wink

I will just concentrate on making the unit charge I think. I might also make a pipe version if I can find something a handy size, otherwise maybe the inner tube one.

cheers
    Matt
    Lofty

Post  Lofty Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:14 am

Matt, I may have the scans on file for Nobels and PE wrappers. I used broom handle for the inner, brown paper (which goes through printer OK) and then waxed it after gluing to wood. Let me have your email and I'll dig them out for you.
    MattWR5
    MattWR5

Post  MattWR5 Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:54 am

elrohiir at hotmail dot com - you can send attachments fine to that address Smile
    Thanks!!
    Will buy a broom handle at the hardware shop then.
    corporal dixon

Munitions for display Empty rail track

Post  corporal dixon Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:32 am

hey up mat just done the rail track had it set up at goathland put tnt on and unit charge i was going to do the inertube one seen one at commando museum normandy but if your doing one i will do something els lol i have a lot demo quite a bit repro need a top dish for my mk 2 landmine give us a clue mate
    MattWR5
    MattWR5

Post  MattWR5 Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:42 am

Thanks for your PMs Corp.
    I found the stash of things I was looking for in the garage.
    I have the following items for use

2 short lengths of standard gauge rail
    1 wooden box for PE sticks
    1 90 min L delay
    1 pull switch type 1.
    1 fuze wire tin for bickford fuze and a couple of short lengths in it.
    1 relics model Welrod
    1 original Welrod mag with a couple of correct British demil .32 rounds
    2 lapel SOE knife
    1 shoe knife
    1 SOE type folding clasp knife, by Sheffield maker
    2 boxes of pre war Dunlop electrical insulated tape
    1 tin John Bull electrical tape - for taping exp sticks together!
    1 wartime box of matches
    1 empty bottle etched sulphuric acid
    1 empty bottle pre war labelled benzine
    [just need bottle etched nitric acid to display them making home made nitro glicerine]
    1 black painted tin to represent home made shrapnel bomb same as one at Parham.

Next on my shopping list is a repro clam mine, another L delay and railway det.
    Looking forward to the new season!

The chap you were looking for is Andy Kirkham in Sheffield. I have not been in touch with him yet, his contact details are on the web as 60 Leedham Road, Rotherham, South Yorkshire S65 3EB
    01709 363 127
    I hope to be able to get a tyre slasher from him
    scallywag
    scallywag

Post  scallywag Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Matt, The nobels 808 at Parham is about 4inches x 1 1/4 inches seems to be white greaseproof paper and the logo is green, i found if printed on white paper then wrapped in white greaseproof it looks the part. have you seen the repro clam mines and l delays on ww2 forum for sale?
    MattWR5
    MattWR5

Post  MattWR5 Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:33 am

Yes I have seen them and I am in touch with the guy at the moment - thats where I intend to purchase from Smile Cheaper than originals at Stoneleigh!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:02 am